Thursday, August 31, 2006

standing up for myself- dream journal

First, Baptist Nun was getting married. I can't remember any of the particulars.

Then work called me in for an extra day. It turned out they wanted me to work in labor and delivery. All the other nurses were acting really snooty. I went in to check on my first patient and she handed me the doppler to check for a fetal heartbeat. I told her that I didn't know how to do that. Then I went downstairs (the maternity ward was like a house) where all the nurses were sitting around my maternal grandmother, Comfort's, dining room table. I told them that if any of my patients went into labor they would have to take care of it. They told me no way. That's when I started screaming and yelling at them, telling them I didn't know how to do it and I wasn't about to, and they should be happy to have an extra body to help out.

I took the big blue glass water carafe from my patients room to fill it up. I put a scoop of ice in but it turned out to be peppermints. By the time I got it upstairs, the water carafe was more like a pizza box with holes in the bottom and all the water had run out. All that was left was olives. The patient asked me to collect them in a jar for her, as she had a recipe that used olives.

I went to the corner store to get a milkshake for someone. I had to make it myself out of a can of Boost and a single serving container of ice cream. I made a big mess, the ice cream melted, the container was full, and I was feeling squirrely about some of the other patrons. When I checked out, the clerk said it would be ten cents, but since I didn't have any change he took a dollar. His name was Ernie. On the way home I speculated that they must give things away to people they recognize.

Sronnoc Esor

No comments: