Saturday, August 18, 2007

Adella

A Story from Dahlia Man

"It was the 1930's in Baldwin, a suburb of New York City. I'd been seeing Adella for a few years when I asked her to marry me. She told me she had to make a trip to Buffalo to settle things with her husband. I never knew she was married. She returned two weeks later to tell me that she had patched things up with her husband and was going back to him.

After that, I only dated married women for a long time. Then I married Dot, the love of my life. We had grown up together. Dot contracted lymphatic cancer. She died after we had been married only twelve years.

I remarried and moved to California. Not long after that, Florence and I had a big fight and I went back east to visit my mother. While I was there, I decided to see Adella. She was in Florida by now. It was there that I met my daughter. It was just as if we had never parted. Her husband had been killed in a freak accident on a shrimping boat that he owned. I could've stayed with her and taken over the shrimping business, but I had a good job working for the state of California, so I went back to Florence.

Hardly a day goes by that I don't think of Adella though. It's not likely that she's even still alive, but she's still twenty years old in my memory. Memories are all you have when you're this old."

No comments: