Friday, September 07, 2007

Life is a Cabaret

~
I've been catching up on my old movies, courtesy of Netflix' new "Watch Now" feature. Tonight I caught Cabaret, a delightful musical starring Liza Minelli. I used to judge movies by the merit of the actions depicted by the characters. If the characters were kind and good, I approved of the movie; if they lied, cheated, and stole, I blackballed it. For a while, I decided merit based on the ending: good for a happy ending, bad for a sad one. Oddly (or aptly) enough, OILBF was the one to point out to me that sad endings are more realistic. Some would argue that we watch movies to escape reality.
~
I'm forging a new philosophy of movie watching. I don't know what it is yet, but a production on the scale of Cabaret scores five stars on it. This musical is a sin to miss. I can't agree with all (or most) of the things the characters do; but it has real, raw, human emotion. It has triumph and defeat, beauty and ugliness, truth and dishonesty. Somewhere in all of it is real life and somewhere there may be fantasy, but I enjoyed it completely.
~
R. Connors

No comments: