Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Road Trip

Pennsylvania hardwood forest

Monday morning I was off on a road trip to see my old friends. The first stop was SheWCBN. She was beautiful and comforting and accepting. We sat and drank coffee and talked. Our topics run the gamut and have no limitations. Her new baby is delightful. He’s at the rocking stage of crawling, and he entertains himself. The morning passed quickly, I had a very pleasant beer with lunch, and was on my way to the next stop.
.
I stopped at a beer distributor along the road, only to discover that in Pennsylvania, buying beer is far from simple. They only sell it by the case. You have to go to a bar for a six-pack. I continued on my way, but my Mapquest directions failed me and I couldn’t find my hotel. I finally called XBFRN, who I was supposed to be meeting, to get help. He stayed on the phone, giving me turn by turn directions. We got sandwiches and beer and hung out watching television just like old times. He is as easy and comfortable as ever to be around.
.
I slept badly and woke up early, so I headed off for Tera’s. She hasn’t changed much either. We visited and her girls showed off their handstanding and floor sliding abilities. Pretty women run in that family. She can’t understand my current belief system, but does a fair job of agreeing to disagree. I fed my uneasy stomach the potato soup and grilled cheese Tera prepared and said goodbye.
.
My cousin L.D’s house was a turmoil of children doing chores, so she took me to the bar where she works and I sipped a delightful creamy porter, brewed locally, while L.D. drank a cosmo and we indulged in girl talk. L.D. is like another sister, always a delight to spend time with, always cheerful and accepting. The afternoon was over too soon and I drove back to my parents.
.
rc

No comments: