Friday, November 23, 2007

Back at the Ranch

view of home from woods
.
Robin and her family were already there when I arrived at Mother and Father’s. I got my old room in the basement, the one Father built on for Baptist Nun when she moved home after college. After only a few hours sleep the night before, it was a relief to fall into the comfortable bed, pull the quilt up around my ears, and sleep. Halfway through the night, I was reminded of the room’s position directly below the house’s one bathroom by the sound of floorboards creaking and the toilet flushing.
.
Thanksgiving Day dawned early. I awoke at first floorboard creaking and took a walk in the woods. We went to Big M’s house for turkey dinner complete with Little M’s signature stuffing balls. After lunch, we exchanged gifts. Robin and I won’t make it back for Christmas. I got a book about Confucious from Robin and chocolates and a gift card from Big and Little M. In the afternoon, I had a nice conversation with Little M in the kitchen. I like her as a sister-in-law.
.
We went to Aunt Janice’s in the evening and ate the leftovers of her Thanksgiving feast. Aunt Janice doesn’t like turkey and always has ham, which was quite good. I would also highly recommend Wegman’s cranberry relish. A few family secrets were shared, and I found myself deep in a friendly, sparring debate with Uncle George: an unexpected but pleasant surprise.
.
Rose

No comments: