Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Perch

.
I've wanted a bunk bed ever since Mr. Clean and Big M had one growing up. I had to share the full size bed with either the Baptist Nun or Robin. We never actually did much sharing, because the Baptist Nun found me unpleasant to share a bed with. I remember her often sleeping on the sofa. I found every opportunity to sleep places other than the bed. I slept on the floor beside the bed both by choice and because I fell out of bed. I made a secret corner between the bed and the dresser. I had to climb over the headboard to get in, and I would sleep and read in my private space. I slept curled up on top of the dresser more than once. After the Baptist Nun went away, I was the one who didn't like sleeping with my little sister. I slept on the sofa for a while, but when we tore out the big furnace in the basement and put in a smaller coal stove, there was room for a little cot next to the wall. It was small, but I didn't have to share it. I loved to sleep on top of the triple bunk in college. I left the sheets and blankets neatly tucked into the outside edge and slept all the way against the wall so the hall monitor wouldn't be able to tell I was still in bed at room check in the mornings.
.
We've been idly thinking about getting a bed for the second bedroom for a while. I wanted to put our bedroom in there, but it just isn't big enough for the king size bed. We want somewhere for people to sleep when they come visit us, but I also think I would sleep better in that room on the days I work, since it's quieter and darker than the master bedroom.
.
The problem is that we have too much stuff. We've had plenty of storage space in our previous rentals, and there is room for everything here, but not much extra space for a bed. I finally stumbled upon the obvious answer today: a loft bed. They come in all shapes and sizes. I had decided we only had space for a twin bed, but a loft will allow us to have a full size bed with plenty of room for storage below.
.
I wish I knew how to do woodwork so I could make my own. Of course that would be just another opportunity for the unfinished projects that I'm famous for.
.
rc

No comments: